House Fire Displaces Three Near Wilmington Delaware

Bear, De. – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that this afternoon’s fire that heavily damaged a Bear, Delaware house was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly before 3:30 pm, occurred in the unit block of Roberta Court in the Porter Square development. The Christiana Fire Company arrived on the scene with flames shooting from the dwelling.

State fire investigators were called to the scene. The fire originated inside the attached garage where fireplace ashes were discarded earlier in the day. The ashes ignited nearby combustibles and eventually broke into an open flame, according to Chionchio. The fire spread from the garage into the 2nd floor of the home.

Fire damage was estimated at $150,000. Smoke alarms activated inside the home. Three adults have been displaced. There were no reported injuries